You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-09-25 10:47:31

jelockwood

Mojave error trying to make NetBoot set

Yes Apple do not want you to use NetBoot to image Macs anymore.
Yes newer Macs e.g. MacBook Pro 2018 cannot NetBoot.

However USB booting with a MacBook Pro 2018 can work - at least with a High Sierra OS.

I am trying to create a Mojave 10.14 (18A391) based NetBoot set which in theory would work for older model Macs. The DeployStudio Assistant however gives an error when I try this saying -

"DeployStudio NetBoot set creation failed!

An error occurred while trying to create the DeployStudio NetBoot set.
Please check your system log file for more details."

I could not find anything obviously related in the log but if someone tells me where and what to look for I will add it to this thread.

Not too surprisingly trying to create a USB bootable drive also fails from the same Mojave running MacBook Pro.

Last edited by jelockwood (2018-10-04 09:51:04)

#2 2018-09-25 19:21:02

jeremyd

Re: Mojave error trying to make NetBoot set

I am having this same problem. I haven't found a solution yet, but figured I would post so you don't feel alone in your pain on this one.

#3 2018-10-04 09:37:37

carlocarlo

Same here, of course. For now I have remediated with an "ordinary" external disk with 10.14 and DeployStudio runtime at login
I would assume new hardware will not support netboot but it would still be nice to have DS creating an USB disk automatically

#4 2018-10-04 13:47:05

jeremyd

Hey Carlo - How do you make an "ordinary" external USB with deploystudio set to auto run at login?

#5 2018-10-04 16:45:08

carlocarlo

Hello Jeremyd, nothing fancy.
I just installed Mojave from the standard installer onto an USB Key with both USB type plugs (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01EZ0X23W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&psc=1) so that it can be used on any Mac
I have then installed DS and put DS Runtime on login items pointing to my server as it were a netboot set.
It's not a complete standalone bootable DS, it's just a way to run the DS Runtime app without netbooting (you just need to disble secureboot on 2018 laptops to use the external USB drive)
Once I have logged onto DS server, I can start my workflows pointing the internal disk (since 10.13.3 onwards I dropped AutoDMG images and using starttoinstall script)
Hope it helps

Last edited by carlocarlo (2018-10-04 16:46:41)

#6 2018-10-04 16:50:11

jeremyd

Ok, I may give that a try, Is there a way to customize the background image and autologin to the server that way also?

#7 2018-10-04 17:01:04

carlocarlo

It's just a regular MacOs client running the DS runtime.
You can do anything you as it's not "limited" as a standard DS netboot set
If you save your DS server credential into the keychain you can simply connect to your DS manually

#8 2018-10-05 21:53:40

jeremyd

Thanks for the help, I think I got this to work mostly. Was even able to setup the delpoystudio to autologin using the deploystudio.plist from preferences.

I am stuck on how to get the system to reboot automatcially at the end of the script though. Using the old boot key once the task was done and exited the system rebooted itself into the finalize stage. Now when it ends it just closes but never reboots. I tried adding a script at the end to run shutdown -r but that doesn't seem to work. It just sits at the screen like its paused at that task and never gets past it.

Do you have yours set to reboot automatically at the end?

#9 2018-10-14 10:08:21

carlocarlo

Hello, sorry for the delay. No, the workflow does not have anything special at the end.
The first workflow simply erase, rename and install MacOs (both High Sierra and Mojave, just changing the name in the script and putting both the installers within the Files/ folder in DS server)
The script is NOT postponed

#!/bin/sh
"/tmp/DSNetworkRepository/Files/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --applicationpath "/tmp/DSNetworkRepository/Files/Install macOS High Sierra.app" --volume "/Volumes/Hard Disk" --agreetolicense --nointeraction
exit 0

The second workflow simply install everything I need (applications, settings and the like) pointing to the internal disk

#10 2018-11-08 15:16:57

jelockwood

For what its worth the new Mac mini (Late 2018) comes with Mojave 10.4 (18A2063). This as one might expect appears to be a device specific build as it is newer than the original Mojave 10.4 (18A391) that was released.

A 'standard' Mojave 10.4.1 should work even if copied from another Mac model.

It would seem extremely unlikely that any High Sierra build would work. (From a date point of view the current High Sierra build post-dates the release of the Mac mini - this is due to the recent Security Update, I don't believe this will help though.)

Whilst I can see why the developers might not want to spend a lot more effort on DeployStudio due to Apple's changes it would be a help if they did make it possible to generate a Mojave based runtime boot drive.

Now that my Mac mini has arrived once I have a 'standard' Mojave boot drive built with a manual DS Runtime on it I will begin testing modifications to my script for deploying a Mojave image.

#11 2018-12-27 09:25:47

mlevitt

So there is no way to create a Bootset using 10.14.1 by using Deploystudio to create the bootset?

#12 2018-12-27 12:12:20

jelockwood

@mlevit

I believe technically it should be possible to create a Mojave bootset in the way DeployStudio has done so for versions up to and including High Sierra but it would require the developers updating their software to support doing this.

With Apple having made it clear they don't want people to do imaging anymore it is looking like the DeployStudio developers have given up.

At the moment the only solution possible for the latest T2 Mac models requires a full blown Mojave installation as a normal boot drive via which you manually run the DeployStudio runtime tool. On a USB memory stick this is extremely slow to boot compared to a DeployStudio created High Sierra bootset on the same USB memory stick but it does work. On a USB hard drive it is normal boot speed.

So to confirm you can do imaging and a full DeployStudio workflow but you have to boot from a full copy of the Mojave operating system.

Board footer