You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-07-20 14:50:24

shideg

ARD/VNC not working on netboot

Hello,

I've been using DS for years, being able to connect to net-booted machines using Apple Remote Desktop. Just recently—on a netboot set that previously worked—I get authentication errors when I try to connect via ARD.

I have verified that I CAN connect to the machine that I use as the source of the netboot set with the same credentials.

I've created a new netboot set and verified the username and password with the same result when net-booting.

I've also tried to connect to the net-booted machine from another computer using ARD with the same result.

I tried a copy of VNC viewer, and saw something peculiar:

When I try to connect to a net-booted machine, the username field is disabled and blank. I'm only allowed to enter a password. Thus, I am unable to connect.

When I try to connect to the source machine, the username and password fields are both enabled.

Source machine is running macOS 10.12.6

DeployStudio version is 1.7.8

I need this functionality or else I'll have to run all over campus to manage net-booted machines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 2018-07-21 00:05:07

chrisb42

Re: ARD/VNC not working on netboot

My experience is that when using Sierra, in order to connect to a netbooted machine via DS's "Control" button, I have to hit "Enter" twice after typing the password. The first time the dialog just comes back, but with the second "Enter" the remote connection is established and I can control the machine. With High Sierra (or using a High Sierra .nbi), remote control is not working for me at all.

#3 2018-07-21 00:14:18

shideg

Thanks, but I don't know what "DS's Control button" is. I use Apple Remote Desktop (ARD). I set up the netboot sets with the same credentials I use on the images I make.

In ARD, you can set the credentials for machines when you add them to ARD. When I access one to view or control it, I don't have to enter any credentials because they are pre-defined.

I can access computers just fine when they are booted to their own disks, but not when net-booted (with same credentials defined in the netboot set).

This all worked with Sierra (10.12.5) last year, then suddenly stopped working with the same netboot set.

I made a new netboot set with 10.12.6 and the exact same settings, and it doesn't work either. I don't understand why this would stop working.

Thanks.

#4 2018-07-23 17:45:42

shideg

Ah, Chris. That's a feature I've never used!

I CAN connect remotely using the Connect button in the DeployStudio Server app, but I cannot connect via ARD any longer.

This is somewhat workable, but still inconvenient. Thanks for that. But I've mostly encountered connection failures with this approach, so I'm left with hoofing it around campus.

—Steve

Last edited by shideg (2018-07-24 14:35:52)

Board footer