You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-06-25 20:20:40

Joon

A plea from a DS user, don't let DS die with imaging.

So,

Quite a long time ago, DeployStudio saved my ass quite literally, we were rapidly expanding and so were the amount of Macs that came in for service.
At this time we were still using USB install sticks to manually recover OSX on any system that needed this, as we never actually 'fixed' software issues but just reinstalled.

Then along came DS, after it piqued my interest at a LAI course (thanks Maurits) i picked it up and started working with it with great success because we started imaging.
This cut the benchtime of software related issues by a huge margin and helped us shoulder the burden of the ever so expanding number of incoming Macs with software issues.

Now 6 years later, imaging is on the verge of dying and netbooting along with it.

This is both good and bad, the good is that businesses that can will move on to DEP and start with a healthier way to manage their fleet.
The bad would be that this could very well be the end of DS (aside from legacy) and that an AASP like mine cant put customer devices in DEP, thus, we basically have to go back to USB installers to individually restore every Mac with software issues, manually.

I can't imagine i'm the only one where DEP is an impossibility, so.. This doesn't have to be the end of DS and here is why:

Startosinstall.

Many workflow options should still work with a proper implementation of startosinstall and with the use of how DS manages scripts and packages it would likely be the most powerful tool out there to make use of startosinstall, because it has everything else already.
And the use of how disk related tasks could work around startosinstall, this would be nothing short of amazing in workflow format.

The installer App (in a dmg) could be put on the repo, be selectable like an image and the install options could be checkmarks/workflow tasks (this is just an idea)

The no netbooting rule can also be worked around by booting an external USB/SSD or replacing your Recovery HD with a DS instance which would still allow DS to connect to your repository and do its thing.
And of course there are still legacy products that will continue to support both netbooting and imaging.

While some of this may just be wishful thinking, i still believe there could be a future for this product.

Last edited by Joon (2018-06-28 08:27:12)

#2 2018-06-27 01:50:27

olePigeon

Re: A plea from a DS user, don't let DS die with imaging.

Yeah, this has me scared.  I manage a little over 400 Macs completely by myself.  I can't imagine not being able to erase them every year after the kids have used them or when a staff member leaves the district.  This is Junior High, so sometimes they're clever enough to know how to do stuff like Single User mode and change passwords.  They also get onto websites they're not supposed to despite our filter, getting who-knows-what onto the computer.  I [i]have[/i] to do monolithic imaging every year.  Simply deleting accounts and creating new ones doesn't get rid of malware or shell scripts they've hidden on the system.

I can't use external USB drives on 400 Macs every year.  That would take me forever.  It needs to be mass erasure/deployment.

#3 2018-06-27 21:07:48

sseaton1971

I think the combination of startosinstall and multicast asr could be the future of DeployStudio. I have tested quite successfully the transfer of package installers in a disk image using multicast asr. Once the large disk image has been transferred to the client machine, a script is executed to mount the image, run all of the installers, and then delete the disk image file. This allows me to install all software needed on a booted client machine without the need to netboot. The only thing this does not do is install macOS and create the user accounts. I have been working with Apple to develop a workflow to work out the remaining kinks, and they have been most helpful. I am still deploying only 10.12 on the majority of devices this year using traditional modular (not monolithic) imaging processes using DeployStudio, but I think I will be ready for 10.13 and 10.14 next year.

I would love to see DeployStudio gain the ability to do what I have described above. If not, I will create my own scripts and workflows to accomplish what I need to do. I would love to see feedback from DS users and the developers about the feasibility of what I am suggesting.

Last edited by sseaton1971 (2018-06-27 21:09:09)

#4 2018-07-13 17:20:48

Peteo

> sseaton1971 wrote:

>. I have been working with Apple to develop a workflow to work out the remaining kinks, and they have been most helpful. I am still deploying only 10.12 on the majority of devices this year using traditional modular (not monolithic) imaging processes using DeployStudio, but I think I will be ready for 10.13 and 10.14 next year.

How are they telling you to get the OS installed on future systems? New MacBook Pro's were just released with the T2 which requires a signed boot loader. Apple is recommending doing an OS restore on any system that needs to be wiped.

#5 2018-07-13 22:30:08

chrisb42

I would be happy to just have DS keep doing what it does on the systems we already have. I understand the T2 machines are quite different beasts, but at this point we don't have those and I have no problem installing an OS update on all our machines to get all needed firmware updates, but I would really like to keep the ability to have DS install our highly configured test image on the lab machines for our users, so we can easily go back to a known good state on a regular basis.

Board footer