You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-03-15 20:26:42

chndrcks

Windows 10 fails to boot on 4k sector drives. Possible BCD issues

I'm having a lot of trouble restoring windows images on newer hardware with 4k sector drives (18,2 and 18,3 specifically). Sometimes the NTFS partition is being reported as RAW (I can access the data with recovery tools), but even when the partition correctly shows as NTFS, it always fails to boot. If I boot to winpe, mount the EFI partition to S, and run bcdedit /Store s:\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD /enum all where I would normally see references to drive letters, I see "unknown" (for example under Windows Boot Manager, "device" is "unknown").

Here are the steps I've taken:
On 18,2 running 10.12:
Ran Bootcamp assistant, pointed it at a Win 10 1709 Ent ISO
Installed Windows, let Bootcamp do its thing
Netbooted to 1.7.8 10.12.6 NBI
Captured the image (Type: Compressed)

On 18,3 machine:
Netbooted with the same 1.7.8 10.12.6 NBI
Restore image (I do not normally add generic BCD although I've tried both options) (We do expand restore NTFS volume)

After restoring the 18,3 machine gives the win10 boot failure screen with error 0xc000000e

As I said above, if I boot the 18,3 machine with a winpe usb drive, assign the EFI partition to S: and run bcdedit /Store s:\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD /enum all then I see "unknown" for things like "device" under Windows Boot Manager. Whereas on the source machine, if I do the same process, the "device" is partition=S: (in other locations there are references to e.g. [C:])

Any thoughts? My guess is a problem with the ds_efibcd_helper but it seems like other people are successfully restoring windows 10 images on the newer hardware, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 2018-06-14 16:00:24

chndrcks

Re: Windows 10 fails to boot on 4k sector drives. Possible BCD issues

I've mostly gotten this working. What I've found is that I can avoid the RAW issue by capturing a separate image for the 4k machines (one that was captured on a 4k machine). The other discovery I made is that the windows BCD file seems to refer to partitions by their GUID. I was able to verify this by copying the BCD file from master machine to the imaged machine and then changing the partition (and disk) guids on the imaged machine to match the master machine. Only after doing that was the imaged machine able to boot correctly.

If I had to venture a guess, I assume that the ds_efibcd_helper program is supposed to inject the appropriate guids into the BCD but doesn't work correctly on machines with 4k sector drives.

Board footer