You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#26 2017-08-21 20:33:43

mjsanders
Website

Re: APFS, the end of imaging and the future of DS?

from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208020 : Upgrade macOS on a Mac at your institution

---------
About monolithic system imaging

Apple doesn't recommend or support monolithic system imaging when upgrading or updating macOS.

Monolithic system imaging can only be used to re-install macOS, not to upgrade to a new macOS version.
If you try to use a monolithic system image, required firmware updates will be missing from the installation. This causes the Mac to operate in an unsupported and unstable state. You can use system images to re-install the existing operating system on a Mac.
----------

good news: Imaging is mentioned as re-install option, so imaging is not dead yet!

also posted: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208018 : Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra

#27 2017-08-22 17:35:01

admin
Administrator
Website

Right, there's some support for APFS volumes imaging since beta 6, but the installer needs to be run at least once on current hardware to get all the firmwares updated for APFS and High Sierra.
The installer may also install additional software for specific machines, adding hardware dependenties to the generated disk image.

So, imaging is not dead (at least on current hardware) but officially unsupported ;)

#28 2017-08-22 20:28:51

Meat

I've noticed that Apple has a history of building out support infrastructure and documentation that lags OS releases by as much as 4 to 6 months.
Want to take a training class on a new OS, or get certification for it? Wait up to 4 to 6 months. :P

#29 2017-08-24 11:33:58

mjsanders
Website

while playing with beta 7 I see this in man asr :

(I won't quote all)

------
RESTORING WITH APFS FILESYSTEMS
     Individual APFS volumes can not be restored directly, because their
     device nodes don't allow I/O from a standard process.  However, asr can
     restore entire APFS containers, including all volumes.  Or it can restore
     valid system configurations, which can get the effect of restoring a sin-
     gle system.

----
examples:

Restoring a complete APFS image
           sudo asr restore -s <APFS image> -t /dev/disk1s2 --erase
     In this case /dev/disk1s2 is a partition of arbitrary type, potentially
     including Apple_APFS.  The entire container is restored as-is, and all
     volumes in the source will be replicated in the target.  The target par-
     tition is completely erased.
----

That is good news, because DeployStudio is built around hdiutil and asr !

Last edited by mjsanders (2017-08-24 11:35:20)

#30 2017-08-28 18:26:57

chrisb42

Based on the documentation linked to earlier in this thread, I did some testing and found that for the time being, I have to create images on a machine that has a rotating disk in it. Then I can create images that are HFS-based and as such can be deployed, at least with my simple workflows it seems to work alright (I'm getting the same inconsequential messages as were reported earlier somewhere here on the forums I believe), but the machines are working.

However, as mentioned in the support document, especially with older Macs (we have some iMacs from 2011 and even 2010), you should run a proper High Sierra installation first, as that will update the firmware on those older machines. I didn't notice any updates on 2013 iMacs, which is by far what we have the most of.

Also, in my testing with running regular High Sierra installs on our machines, the ones with an SSD got converted to APFS, as expected. The unfortunate side effect of that, however, was that they then could no longer netboot from my DS netboot set. You also cannot create new netboot sets on SSD-based machines with High Sierra, as they don't have the recovery partition that DS needs. In order to get those SSD-based machines back in a state where they can netboot, I had to run Internet Recovery, start Disk Utility and with "Partition" set the disk back to HFS – "Erase" doesn't let you change the file system.

Only then could these machines netboot again and I could install my Sierra image back for regular testing.

I guess I have to see whether I can create a new netboot set on a disk-based machine running High Sierra on HFS+ and see if that would let an APFS machine netboot.

EDIT: Could not create a new netboot set on High Sierra, system.log has this:
Aug 28 14:37:24 <machine_name> DeployStudio Admin[1005]: objc[1005]: __weak variable at 0x60000043d2b0 holds 0x7fff896be158 instead of 0x60000045c650. This is probably incorrect use of objc_storeWeak() and objc_loadWeak(). Break on objc_weak_error to debug.

-Christian

Last edited by chrisb42 (2017-08-28 22:44:48)

#31 2017-08-30 04:32:54

jimkirk

I am guessing you ran into this, which I can only assume will require an update to DeployStudio's NBI generation procedure to resolve (likely due to changes in asr to support APFS containers):

"NetRestore in System Image Utility

If you want to create a NetRestore image that you can use to re-install macOS High Sierra on a Mac with all flash storage, don't create the image from the macOS Installer. Instead, connect another Mac with macOS High Sierra via Target Disk Mode, and use it as the image source. The resulting NetRestore image will be APFS, and is only supported to re-install macOS High Sierra on a Mac with all flash storage."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208020

I believe this means there will need to be 2 separate NetBoot sets, depending on if you need to NetBoot a Mac with a HDD or a Mac with a SSD, in order to apply your workflow to the appropriate partition.

Last edited by jimkirk (2017-08-30 13:30:02)

#32 2017-08-30 13:47:16

mjsanders
Website

Today DeployStudio 1.7.7 is released, with preliminary APFS and 10.13 support !!!

#33 2017-08-30 21:14:57

Meat

Awesomeness!

#34 2017-09-01 08:17:39

admincepv

Thank you !!! go 10.13 and apfs !

#35 2017-09-05 14:22:14

jakov

so imaging is not dead!
and neither is DeployStudio...

#36 2017-09-28 22:49:16

Trikster

I have yet to be able to Netboot off a 10.13 machine with DS 1.7.8.  Boot times are greater than 8 minutes.  I have tried many different NBI's and rather than the time decreasing to boot, time is increasing.  Latest test image...30 minutes of boot time, still hasn't booted to the DS console.

Board footer