You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.01.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.6 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-06-06 16:40:22

DCKincaid

Odd Imaging USB Activity

Hey all!

I have a weird one for you! Well. Weird to me at any rate. I am running the newest everything on my imaging server: DS, Server, OS. I have created several USB keys that all do the same thing when I try to use them. If I plug them directly into the machine (iMac or MacBook Pro) they are not recognized either in the OS or in the boot screen regardless of USB port used. If I plug the USB key into a Mac keyboard, and then plug the keyboard into the machine (from any USB port) it is recognized instantly and I can image just fine from it. I currently have a wired keyboard attached to this MacBook Pro I am imaging. The whole image process takes about 10 or 12 minutes so there is no impact to time or performance. Any ideas? It just started doing this after I updated to the newest everything like I do every summer.

Thanks!
DC

#2 2017-07-12 17:16:08

Tallman610

Re: Odd Imaging USB Activity

I have seen warnings that some combinations of USB3 flash drives and Macs are not bootable from the flash drive. Using an Apple keyboard is essentially introducing an Apple recognized USB2 hub which makes the connection a USB2 speed. If your USB keys are USB3, try using a different brand or an older USB2 drive.

#3 2017-07-13 14:52:31

DCKincaid

Re: Odd Imaging USB Activity

I have been using the same USB3 flash drives for the past 2 or 3 years and so far they have worked up until now. Maybe it does have something to do with drivers, lord knows the new Macs are fun about drivers this year haha! But my jump drives quit working on my older Macs as well which is what threw me for a loop. I could see them being finicky on the newer stuff, but not the machines that have worked fine in the past with those same jump drives. So far it hasn't been a super huge deal, I just carry a keyboard around with me to image. I was just wondering if I had goofed something up somewhere and if anyone else has ran into this. I will grab some USB2 drives to burn and see if I still have that problem with those.

Thanks for the advice!!
DC

Board footer