You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-06-27 16:41:53

dj56

New MacBook Pro with Kaby Lake

We got a couple new MacBook Pros with Kaby Lake processor. I created a new new NetBoot set but when I try to netboot these new MacBooks I get the not allowed symbol (Circle with slash thru it). Any suggestions on why this is happening? I can boot the older MacBook pros with the new NetBoot set without any issues. Its just these new ones that wont. Thanks!

#2 2017-06-28 22:28:53

meca62793

Re: New MacBook Pro with Kaby Lake

Are you on the latest version of deploy studio?

#3 2017-06-29 08:44:41

mjsanders
Website

You need a netboot image with the specific version for 2017 machines (build 16F2073).
(or beta's of 10.12.6 which can boot any Sierra capable mac, including 2017 models)
see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204319 for versions

The OS of the server is hardly important (unless you create the .nbi from your local disk)
My favorite way is:
1- get the Install macOS app on the new machine (re-download from store on this machine),
2-use AutoDMG to create an Image
3-mount this image on the server (It includes a recovery Partition of the same version)
4-create .nbi on the server, using the mounted AutoDMG .dmg as source

This way I can make .nbi sets for modern OS versions, while my server is still running older versions, and the configurartion (DSversion, urls and user/pw's) are correct for the server.

#4 2017-06-29 20:31:22

DCKincaid

Does being on the latest version of DS, MacOS and ServerOS not give you the correct drivers you need to boot the newest Macbooks? I am getting the hashed out circle as well whenever I try and boot to a freshly burnt jump drive. Is the above method the only way to make it work?

Thanks!!
DC

#5 2017-06-30 23:07:06

Meat

Unless the server is a 2017 model (unlikely, and I wouldn't recommend it), you will not get the necessary drivers that are part of the custom build of the macOS the 2017 models ship with.
It should be possible to install DeployStudio on a 2017 model and build a working netboot or jump drive from that machine. If you don't want to install DeployStudio on the factory fresh 2017 model boot volume, you can:
- plug in an external drive to the 2017 model,
- boot to the recovery partition of the 2017 model,
- install the OS on the external
- reboot the 2017 model from the external drive
- install DeployStudio on the external drive
- build the netboot and/or jump drive

This appears to have worked fine for me (no complaints from imaging techs yet).

#6 2017-07-06 17:10:26

Peteo

> Meat wrote:

> Unless the server is a 2017 model (unlikely, and I wouldn't recommend it), you will not get the necessary drivers that are part of the custom build of the macOS the 2017 models ship with.
It should be possible to install DeployStudio on a 2017 model and build a working netboot or jump drive from that machine. If you don't want to install DeployStudio on the factory fresh 2017 model boot volume, you can:
- plug in an external drive to the 2017 model,
- boot to the recovery partition of the 2017 model,
- install the OS on the external
- reboot the 2017 model from the external drive
- install DeployStudio on the external drive
- build the netboot and/or jump drive

This appears to have worked fine for me (no complaints from imaging techs yet).

Yes this works. In fact build 16F207 is working on all sierra capable macs (thanks apple)

#7 2017-07-06 18:38:05

dj56

I have an older Mac that I use AutoDMG on to create the hfs.dmg. On the MacMini server I have the most recent version of DeployStudio. I open the DeployStudio Assistant and choose "Create a DeployStudio NetBoot Set". Am I missing a step somewhere? I am not super experienced at this yet. Took it over from a guy who left a couple months ago so still getting use to it. Thanks for the help!

#8 2017-07-06 20:51:08

Peteo

> dj56 wrote:

> I have an older Mac that I use AutoDMG on to create the hfs.dmg. On the MacMini server I have the most recent version of DeployStudio. I open the DeployStudio Assistant and choose "Create a DeployStudio NetBoot Set". Am I missing a step somewhere? I am not super experienced at this yet. Took it over from a guy who left a couple months ago so still getting use to it. Thanks for the help!

Are you deploying it to the mac mini?

Normally what I do is get the latest mac, with the latest version of the OS, run autoDMG on it. Upload the .HFS file up to the deploystudio server.
Then on that same mac I install Deploystudio and generate the netboot set or USB flash drive.
This way the HFS image and DeployStudio boot with have the lastest OS version and drivers

#9 2017-07-10 15:43:22

DCKincaid

Ok so I installed DS on one of the 2017 Macs and created a bootable external from it. I am now able to boot into the external and image the 2017 Macs but as soon as the imaging process finishes and the mac restarts, I get the hashed out circle whenever it tries to boot up. The way I have my workflow set up is the last step reboots the mac and then binds it to AD, then reboots again but I can't get to that step because of the hashed out circle. Any ideas?

#10 2017-07-11 15:47:55

DCKincaid

Alright I was able to get mine working after some futzing around. I had to recreate my image on a New mac and capture it from there to get it to work for me. Things seem to be working pretty good now!

#11 2017-07-20 13:45:19

ooshnoo

> DCKincaid wrote:

> Alright I was able to get mine working after some futzing around. I had to recreate my image on a New mac and capture it from there to get it to work for me. Things seem to be working pretty good now!

This has been standard practice for years when new Mac models are released.

#12 2017-09-07 19:15:16

michael.golla

I had multiple issues with our new mid-2017 15" MacBook Pros and DS 1.7.7
I had to disable SIP (System Integrity Protection) from recovery to get it to talk to DS (Note, even my older MacBooks could not talk to the up to date 10126.nbi from DS Assistant, but they could talk to an older version with SIP enabled).

/usr/bin/csrutil disable

Then, I installed DS on one of my new 2017 Macs. Created the nbi there, and copied it over to my DS production server.
The Touchbar was very "touchy." If you restore the entire drive, it replaces the Recovery HD. This partition has a set of files that validates against the OS at every boot to verify hardware. If it is different than the actual hardware, it tries to repair itself by dialing out - so you need an outside connection to download the updates. Without this, it won't boot.
The workaround is to only restore the main OS partition (Macintosh HD).

If you want to easily turn SIP back on after restore, the two easiest ways are to
1) Reset the NVRAM from terminal,

sudo nvram -c; reboot

2) Re-enable from Recovery,

/usr/bin/csrutil enable; reboot

See this blog for more detailed info:
http://blog.eriknicolasgomez.com/2016/11/27/the-untouchables-apples-new-os-activation-for-touch-bar-macbook-pros/
http://blog.eriknicolasgomez.com/2016/11/30/the-untouchables-pt-2-offline-touchbar-activation-with-a-purged-disk/

Board footer