You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2016-02-15 20:31:40

chrisb42

Machines randomly stop deploying and end up with a Terminal window

Hi all,

Ever since upgrading the netboot image to 10.11.3 to support both newer and older iMacs, I've noticed in our daily deployment that typically a handful of machines (completely random and not always the same machines) stop deploying at the first step (the actual restore process) and just end up with a Terminal window on the background screen. The logs, sadly, don't provide any information what may have gone wrong, they just end with the line "Running autostarted workflow", nothing after.

Any idea what this could be and how to avoid it? If I catch it soon enough, I can remotely reboot them from the netboot image, but it seems after a certain amount of time, the VNC part dies and no remote connection is possible anymore, the machines have to be rebooted by hand.

Thanks for any pointers!

-Christian

#2 2016-02-16 19:32:28

Jkersten

Re: Machines randomly stop deploying and end up with a Terminal window

The DSR runtime is crashing, presumably before it can write anything useful to the logs. See the thread below for more info. I have yet to find a way to avoid the issue, though I can say it seems to be worse in cases where the server is under load (though in one case I was able to repro with only one system being reimaged).

I suspect remote connections becoming unresponsive may have to do with the system falling asleep after inactivity, which I have seen happen on the latest iMacs despite having unchecked the sleep option when having created the NBI. When reimaging a lab, I "observe" all of the Nebooted systems via ARD at once (screen sharing will work to a netbooted NBI, other ARD functions will not). This lets me see when something goes off into the weeds on a machine.

http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=7541

#3 2016-02-21 23:35:52

chrisb42

Thanks for the information! I hope the devs can get to the bottom of this shortly, because it is rather annoying that there are always several machines that didn't go through.

-Christian

#4 2016-02-22 20:40:21

mjsanders
Website

I have observed the same issue (10.11.3/1.7.2), and yes it is more prevalent when the server is under load (imaging several Mac's simultaniously)
Rebooting and running the same workflow again solved it, but it is annoying to see DeployStudio less stable than is usually is.

I wish a feature to save the log more frequenly would help us troubleshooting.
(now the last line is 'running workflow......, and all the info visible in the log window on the mac is gone after the crash)

Last edited by mjsanders (2016-02-22 20:40:43)

#5 2016-02-23 21:50:28

Trikster

I have been having this issue all day as well.  What I did that seemed to help is the following...

1. Netboot
2. Open Terminal
3. csrutil clear
4. csrutil disable
5. restart
6. Netboot
7. Proceed as usual.

Board footer