You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2015-08-15 02:58:19

prbsparx

File copy - zipped, extract after copy

I have a number of large applications (e.g. Xcode) that take a long time to copy because they have 100s of small files within them and NFS sees them as small files.

I'd like to be able to zip the file inside the DSRepository, tell DeployStudio, this file is zipped. And have DeployStudio copy the zip, extract it, and then set the permissions.

I'd be willing to work on this myself if I can gain access to the file copy task source.

#2 2015-08-17 20:09:05

Nathan Fisher

Re: File copy - zipped, extract after copy

another option is to create a workflow shell script that SCPs the zip or dmg form a secured account, and performs the extraction.

#3 2015-08-18 08:11:00

mjsanders
Website

another approach: make a package of your files, and deploy this. Packages are compressed, will install with proper permissions.
Advantage: you can re-use your work in other workflows (install using ARD, use munki, Caspar, etc).
My personal favorite free tool is packages (http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Packages/about.html)

The biggest drawback (apart from the work to convert it into a package) is the time it takes to run installer packagers after first boot, but unzipping takes time too.

Last edited by mjsanders (2015-08-18 08:11:46)

#4 2015-08-27 21:22:12

prbsparx

For those of us that can create packages, making packages is a good idea, but there are a lot of people that use DeployStudio that don't know how to create custom packages. On top of that it takes time to create a custom pkg, versus being able to zip or just upload a DMG especially since most software comes in a DMG anyway...

Maybe being able to store in ZIP or DMG would be beneficial actually...

#5 2015-08-28 20:15:31

Meat

That becomes a file copy task when zipped or DMG'd.

How would DeployStudio know what to do with every file in a zip or DMG file?

So, solutions already exist to perform these types of operations. If you need to use one, then you should learn how to use those tools. Even my rudimentary skill level can get things done.

Rolling zip extraction or DMG content dispersal into an imaging tool as a feature is likely to be less flexible. I have created workflows containing a script that moves a bunch of files from various folders to specific locations on the target partition, then changes the permissions. It's pretty straight forward once you get to know a few unix commands (cp, chmod, chown... all very carefully, of course ;)
You can just use the basic unix file structure presented on the boot volume (neboot, or otherwise).
You could continue to use zip and DMG files, but you'd need to know a few more commands.

Learning how to create installer packages takes maybe a couple of days, when focus allows, or a couple of weeks if you are constantly juggling job responsibilities.
The afore mentioned Packages product has good documentation, and of course most of us here will try to answer any questions when we can. :)

Board footer