You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-06-20 14:24:18

barchord

Error "unexpected progress value" OSX 10.13.5

I am trying to "Create Master from a Volume" of a OSX 10.13.5 base operating system image in DS and get the error "unexpected progress value"  and the master never gets created.  Is there a way to still do this?  We have approximately 2500 iMac Slims and Macbook Airs that need to get re-imaged over the summer.

#2 2018-06-20 21:25:12

mjsanders
Website

Re: Error "unexpected progress value" OSX 10.13.5

Create a master from volume is very unreliable for apfs volumes.
(I assume you have apfs)
Sometimes it works, but I could not get it to work.

Apple does no longer support imaging, or restoring images, so while it still works for older Mac's you will run into problems sooner or later with newer OS or hardware versions.

I recommend to switch your workflow to make your master image using AutoDMG, with some (custom?) packages.
Deploy the image using Deploystudio 1.7.8 (use .NBI with 10.13.3 seems to work best)

#3 2018-06-21 13:44:05

barchord

I'm not familiar with AutoDMG.  Is there a component that will allow us to put local accounts, custom system preferences, add programs to the admin dock and do things like enabling root in directory utility on the base image before importing it into deploy studio and adding it to a workflow?  That's what I like about Create Master from a volume.  You could tweak all this setting and then upload the base image into DS to use with your workflow.

Last edited by barchord (2018-06-21 13:46:41)

#4 2018-06-25 19:39:47

mjsanders
Website

Hmm, if you use AutoDMG you can add your own packages to the install,
or run scripts post-poned (or not) using DeployStudio.

For each of your requirements you need to find a new way to do that.
I think all can be done, but requires some work. My suggestions are:

-local accounts, : use DS accounts
-custom system preferences, : depend on what you want, use profiles, (or better an MDM) or install the prefspane by package (or just copy to /Library/SystemPreferences/)
-add programs to the admin dock : use dockutil (https://github.com/kcrawford/dockutil)
- enabling root in directory utility : use a script to do that (dsenableroot), but I am not sure why you want to do that.

But still: I recommend to invest time into the new methods, then you are more ready for NON-imaging workflows (the future..)

#5 2018-07-11 18:17:13

chrisb42

Using an NBI based on 10.13.3 and created with DeployStudio 1.7.9*, I haven't really had any issues creating High Sierra APFS-based images. What doesn't work for me yet is a full rollout of these images, as when attempted on a larger scale, our lab iMacs just stop in the middle of the workflow. Could be during the imaging, copying files, or running scripts; there is no rhyme or reason that I could see.

Here the two relevant threads about NBI issues I've encountered:
NetBoot for 10.13.3 Rebooting before loaded (also deals with wrong keyboard layout) - http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=8060
environment goes to sleep during long workflow? - http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=8048

And while mjsanders may be right in terms of looking into new methods, that is just not an option at this point, as we are using fully configured and highly customized images that at this point I don't see how I could replicate this setup any other way. I am aware of the requirement to install firmware updates etc, but that is doable as a one-off on our machines, and we won't have any machines with the new security chip like the T2 of the iMac Pro, so in theory we could continue with our processes for a while, as long as I find a solution for the mass install of APFS-based images. I'll be creating an NBI based on the just released 10.13.6 shortly, hoping this may work better.

-Christian

* DS 1.7.9 is available to download when copying the link to the 1.7.8 image and changing the 8 to 9. As I have seen no regressions between 1.7.8 and 1.7.9 I stuck with the latest version. Not sure if that has something to do with not having issues creating APFS-based images.

#6 2018-08-05 20:47:18

js2010

What does this mean for creating ntfs Windows bootcamp images?

Board footer