You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-02-02 23:10:32

the_sim

Cannot Connect from Mac

I have setup a new version 1.7.8 DeployStudio on a new Mac Mini High Sierra with the latest server tools 5.5.
I installed DeployStudio and the server tools on my server.
I created an AFP share and a user to use with DeployStudio.
I ran DeployStudio Assistant to setup the server.
I then ran DeployStudio Assistant to create a NetBoot set on the Mac Mini and also on a new iMac I am deploying. I copied both .nbi files to the proper folder and they show up green in the server netinstall section.
I attempt to boot multiple different Macs using the option key. I can see both netboot sets but when I select them I cannot connect to the server. It starts loading the netboot set, the small planet spins, the Apple logo appear and loads all the way, I get a black screen with a small spinning logo then after 30 seconds or so the machine reboots. I have rebuilt the server using Sierra instead but I get the same results.
What am I missing?

#2 2018-02-05 22:35:52

the_sim

Re: Cannot Connect from Mac

Any ideas as to what is going on?
Is there a log file I can look at?
Under NetIstall connections I can see the machine I am attempting to connect to the server as connected. After the Apple logo is done and the little icon spins for a few seconds it reboots.
Is this a netboot set that is not compatible?

#3 2018-02-06 18:26:37

Meat

The user you created. Is the user in the admin group on the server?
Try creating a netboot set that uses the administrators credentials.
What model is your target machine?

Last edited by Meat (2018-02-06 18:27:02)

#4 2018-02-06 20:14:33

the_sim

I've used the administrator account to setup the server and it matches with the machine that I am doing the netboot set from.
I've tried with an iMac18,1 (2017) and a MacBookPro8,1 (late 2011) with the same results.
The netboot set is seing by holding the option key at boot up. I see the rotating planet, then the Apple logo loads all the way up, black screen with a spinning circle then reboot.

#5 2018-02-07 20:58:26

the_sim

I was finally able to get this issue resolved.
As long as High Sierra was involved either on my server or my machine that did the netboot set I was getting that error.

High Sierra server + High Sierra or Sierra or El Capitan or Yosemite machine (iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini) netboot set = No boot into DeployStudio

Sierra server + High Sierra machine (iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini) netboot set = No boot into DeployStudio

Sierra server + Sierra or El Capitan or Yosemite machine (iMac) netboot set = Boot into DeployStudio no problem

#6 2018-03-12 07:48:48

longgegeno1

> the_sim wrote:

> I was finally able to get this issue resolved.
As long as High Sierra was involved either on my server or my machine that did the netboot set I was getting that error.

High Sierra server + High Sierra or Sierra or El Capitan or Yosemite machine (iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini) netboot set = No boot into DeployStudio

Sierra server + High Sierra machine (iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini) netboot set = No boot into DeployStudio

Sierra server + Sierra or El Capitan or Yosemite machine (iMac) netboot set = Boot into DeployStudio no problem
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm running the same issue,Did you work this out?

#7 2018-03-12 15:42:05

longgegeno1

I think I have it figured out.It's about the language when you configure a new netboot set.Do make sure the language has been selected,Do not choose "CURRENT" as default.
Maybe It just happened to non-english os version

#8 2018-03-20 17:26:58

christopheralago

Hi,

Tearing my hair out here. Similar problem. Cannot connect to my DeployStudio server despite reinstalling it several times. This includes a fresh OS X Sierra install and OS X Server install that corresponds to the OS version. Downloaded DeployStudio 1.7.8, followed all the directions (which are out of date by 3 years it seems) and nada. Holding down the Option key gets me to the boot menu, I see the DeployStudio server, I select it and the world turns, tries to load, then reboots back to the installed OS on the target machine. I tried changing the language as suggested by longgegeno1, that did not help. Any help would be appreciated.

#9 2018-03-20 18:59:14

christopheralago

*UPDATE*

After much trial and error, I had an idea. I created a NetBoot based off of an external drive with El Capitan installed on it. THAT BOOTED. Went into the Runtime all the way, then I got a repository access error. This then turned out to be simple. File Sharing in the Sharing Pane under Settings was not checked. I thought that when you turn File Sharing on in the server app, that it would enable it there as well. Not so apparently.

Recap. I was trying to create the original NetBoot based off of the Mac Mini hardware that the server is on and OS X Sierra. One of those reasons must be why it refused to boot properly to the NetBoot environment.

Board footer