You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2015-08-21 13:42:17

jelockwood

Apple NetBoot access restriction model list

I am currently running DeployStudio server 1.6.16 on a Yosemite 10.10.5 Mac mini, with Server.app 4.1.5.

I have built a fresh 10.10.5 NetBoot set using the DS 1.6.16 assistant and copied it to my server. Unfortunately I am finding that the list of Mac models in the access restriction list in Server.app still does not list any 2015 model Macs.

While I thought this list was maintained as part of Server.app Apple so far seem to be suggesting the list is the responsibility of the NetBoot image itself which would then point the finger towards DeployStudio as being at fault.

So who is at fault?

Note: Both Yosemite 10.10.4 with Server.app 4.1.3 and 10.10.5 with Server.app 4.1.5 have been released since the new 2015 model Macs and therefore if Apple is supposed to be responsible for the list of Mac models that means two versions by now should have included them.

#2 2015-08-27 14:09:08

mjsanders
Website

Re: Apple NetBoot access restriction model list

Yes, Apple is not fast in updating Server.app with the new hardware.
I used the oposite way, to edit .nbi's for older Mac's (10.6.8), and server app does not know about older mac's that do not support Yosemite

Mactracker has all codes like MacBookPro12,2 for all new hardware...

edit the NBImageInfo.plist inside the .nbi to match the newer hardware.

#3 2015-09-09 12:43:12

jelockwood

Re: Apple NetBoot access restriction model list

It turns out this is a DeployStudio bug.

I have DeployStudio 1.6.16 running on a Yosemite 10.10.5 Mac which is also running Server.app 4.1.5 in other words as of the time I am writing this a fully up-to-date system. If I use DeployStudio Assistant to build a new NetBoot image either on this server, or on a client Mac also running Yosemite 10.10.5 then the resulting NetBoot image does not include any 2015 model Macs in the Access Restriction list.

If I use Apple's SIU tool on the very same Mac server then that NetBoot image does include the latest 2015 model Macs in the Access Restriction list.

Therefore DeployStudio is not populating the NetBoot image with an up-to-date list of Mac models. According to Apple the source of data for this list at least for their own SIU tool is in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ServerInformation.framework/ this 'file' exists on both a Mac with Server.app and a standard client Mac so it is not dependent on having Server.app installed.

It maybe that DeployStudio is not looking at an operating system provided list but is using an out-of-date internal list a list presumably stored within DeployStudio Assistant itself. If so the obvious 'fix' would be for DeployStudio to adopt the Apple behaviour and use the list in the above mentioned location which is the list Apple use and maintain themselves and is therefore always going to be up-to-date for whatever source you are building your DeployStudio NetBoot image on.

Last edited by jelockwood (2015-09-09 12:53:20)

Board footer