You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2015-06-30 14:35:47

Nathan Fisher

making things easier to change on the boot image

I made a new image and forgot to change the timeout from 30 seconds to the 120 that I wanted, so I had to remake the image.  Then I realized show log was off, and I had to remake it AGAIN.  (and each time this involved updating a bootable external hard drive and several flash drives)

I finally tracked down this data in /Library/Preferences/com.deploystudio.server.plist and that makes updating the drives easier, but it's not so easy to modify the NBI on the server.  I've done it before (when I dumb-thumbed the url to the server) but I can't find the command that DS posted in the console showing the huge string it uses to build the image from a volume so I suppose I get to do that one more time.

It would be really nice if we could have an override file in the repo that DS looks for once it connects, that overrides the settings in that plist.  I realize I have to get the repo ip, user, and password correct to connect in the first place, but other things like timeout, logging, imaging message, quit after completion, etc, could be easily loaded from the repo if present, making systemwide changes to these values much easier to do.

edit:  I just noticed that the NBI image (in SP0) I had mounted to look at had a changed modification date....  that's not mounted read/write is it?   oh, it is!  ok.  back up, and now edit the plist....  will it still boot?  it DOES.  booya.  THAT saves me some time, not needing to go through the DS reimaging process to make a tweak. Now maybe I can bang away at getting SSH working.

Last edited by Nathan Fisher (2015-06-30 16:46:03)

#2 2015-06-30 17:46:37

Meat

Re: making things easier to change on the boot image

Yes, that is a time saver. :)

It's handy knowing where the various settings are stored.
A crazy inventive person, with some free time, might create a DS-NBI Editor GUI app, that lets you select the netboot set you want to fiddle with, which kicks off mounting it, then presenting either a fixed set of parameters to edit, or a selection of reasonable file edit options... or both! ;)

#3 2015-06-30 19:59:36

erik

May I point you to: http://magervalp.github.io/2014/05/27/autodsnbi.html

Meat - you are a hard man to get ahold of outside of the DS forums.....

#4 2015-06-30 23:39:03

Meat

Why, yes. Yes I am.
It's my way of trying to reduce fragmentation, probably to my own detriment.

Thanks for the cool pointer! :)

Board footer