You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2014-10-14 19:53:19

prbsparx

DeployStudio Version 2 - Server-side cross-platform

This is probably a little far thinking and definitely a Version 2 kind of change... Has there been any discussion on making the server-side component of DeployStudio able to be installed on other platforms... specifically Linux.

Use Case:
Many enterprises are moving towards Virtualized environments and currently Apple does not allow OS X to be virtualized on Datacenter-grade hardware (i.e. 1-3U rack-mountable, 64+ GB of RAM)
Right now, I have a Mac Mini just for running DeployStudio when I'd prefer to be able to host it in our Datacenter.

I'd be glad to work on this with the developers of DeployStudio and get some traction from large enterprise customers that may want this functionality.

#2 2014-10-20 22:51:29

triti

Re: DeployStudio Version 2 - Server-side cross-platform

Having a Linux-compatible DeployStudio server is something that I would also be highly interested in and I, too, would be willing to help test such a thing if it were to exist. I'm not going to say that my datacenter is Mac hardware adverse but it's a political hassle to get a Mac racked in there and that's hassle that I don't want to have to deal with when I'm trying to get my job done.

Just the other day, I was really honestly planning out how to do a DeployStudio-less deployment environment running entirely on our VM infrastructure because I'm envisioning how difficult it's just going to get going forward with Apple hardware in the datacenter. A version of DeployStudio that ran on a Linux VM would be a huge boon.

#3 2015-02-16 01:45:04

hunty1

there is this

https://github.com/mosen/spirit

Its a start

#4 2015-02-26 09:02:18

mbracco

It would also be great to have the mac's boot in a smaller (minimal OS X command line only with eventually a java frontend, maybe running on an tomcat server or so, not the OS X GUI) to deploy. This would fasten up TFTP Download of nbi-sort booster considerably.

#5 2015-02-26 21:02:49

ComputerConnection

This isn't quite the same thing, but we'd like to see better support for installing Linux and Windows on Macs. It seems like that was accomplished a few years ago, but not revisited since. And getting it to work reliably can be an issue.

Also, would be really sweet, if it did a moderate job of imaging Windows PCs. That would make it more attractive to IT shops as it would now serve dual purposes.

#6 2015-02-27 17:37:09

homerdjw
Website

At the moment we tend to use WinClone for Deploying Windows images.

Works like a charm and can be deployed by Deploy Studio too.

Darren

#7 2015-11-06 15:09:03

Marc

I'd like to second the request to have the server component work on a Linux server. Our University is lucky enough to have a large enterprise class datacenter with VMs available for servers at very reasonable rates. With Apple not allowing server virtualization on non Apple hardware we are forced to rack a pair of Mac minis at a much higher cost than what a VM would be.

The advantages of VMs in our datacenter are as follows.
Backed up daily.
Firewall rules at datacenter not on local machine and block known security threats.
Linux OS can be maintained by someone that knows more than I do.
Power and Network outages are scheduled and not surprises.
If I need more drive space, bandwidth, RAM or CPU it's simply added to the VM it and don't have to reinstall on new hardware.
Performance monitoring.

#8 2015-11-06 20:41:54

mbracco

+1 for Server Part on linux. why not boot via tftp a darwin basic and run a gui frontend (runtime) on java (eg tomcat or so)
so we would still have the possibility to use osx tools hdiutil, asr, diskutil and so on.....
and for other os'es we would create a linux (non darwin) netbootset with the same style gui java, tomcat or whatever.

#9 2016-01-18 12:25:09

jelockwood

> prbsparx wrote:
> This is probably a little far thinking and definitely a Version 2 kind of change... Has there been any discussion on making the server-side component of DeployStudio able to be installed on other platforms... specifically Linux.
>
> Use Case:
> Many enterprises are moving towards Virtualized environments and currently Apple does not allow OS X to be virtualized on Datacenter-grade hardware (i.e. 1-3U rack-mountable, 64+ GB of RAM)
> Right now, I have a Mac Mini just for running DeployStudio when I'd prefer to be able to host it in our Datacenter.
>
> I'd be glad to work on this with the developers of DeployStudio and get some traction from large enterprise customers that may want this functionality.

JAMF have a Linux based NetBoot server - see https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=180&view=info this clearly shows it should be possible from a technical point of view to have a similar Linux based DeployStudio server. Depending on the licensing perhaps the JAMF appliance could be used as the starting point for this.

#10 2016-05-25 02:19:23

prbsparx

The Linux NetBoot portion of it isn't the part I'm concerned about at all. I know there are multiple linux NetBoot servers out there even if they require tossing together several components.

We have Casper Suite at the company I work at and I like it, but I haven't seen anything that comes close to DeployStudio's modular imaging in speed, ease of use, or functionality.

I feel the easiest way to build this would be just to make it a web-app of sorts.

Board footer