You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2013-08-29 22:56:04

carlocarlo

How to deploy multiple bootable HDDs with a MacPro

Hello everyone, I need to setup some 40 HDDs to be used to reimage/reinstall my clients computers and I thought I could use a MacPro and fill all the bays to speed up the process
I have two questions
The clean up scripts that copies/replaces byhost files that runs at the end of imaging refers to the hardware I am using, therefore I was wondering if this could affect putting the newly created HDD within a different Mac
The other question is related to the ideal workflow.
I tried running my current workflow by manually selecting all the available drives and simply chosing the destination disk0/disk1 etc but I ended up with only one HDD correcly imaged while the others were empty (but correctly formatted and renamed according to my workflow)
It is a very simply workflow that - after manually chossing the HDD from the drop down menu, creates a 250GB partition, rename the disk and install my master image.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am surely missing something obvious!
Thank you all in advance
Carlo

Last edited by carlocarlo (2013-08-29 22:57:04)

#2 2013-08-30 00:50:00

Meat

Re: How to deploy multiple bootable HDDs with a MacPro

You're better off using multicast. Even with setup and tear down.
You should be able to multicast to all the machines at the same time, in slightly over the time it takes to unicast to one. Retry the failures, and pull problem machines out of the line until resolution.

One drive at a time, even over a sata connection is likely to be much longer if you include pulling/reinstalling the drives.

Then there is the clean up script issue. It effects the byhost preferences, so most non-Adobe application preferences won't be effected either way, but many hardware and OS settings probably will be. Messy.

My 2 cents.

#3 2013-08-30 12:14:47

carlocarlo

Re: How to deploy multiple bootable HDDs with a MacPro

Hello and many thanks for your suggestion
I shluld have explained it better as as plan would be preparing the replacement HDDs in advance, so that I will only need to copy user data after perfecting the client afterwords (binding and similar things) and swapping the disks, that's the reason for finding a quicker solution.
Imaging the clients one by one moving around the office would only take 10 mins or so each, but if the new disk was already available it would be better.
If anyone had some additional ideas I would be more that happy !
Have a good weekend everyone
Carlo

Board footer